ღ♥ღ Extreme difficulties should be regarded a compliment ♥ for it is a Sign that you're a Soul being tested to see if you're ready to rise to the next level towards Enlightment ღ♥ღ Unknown

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." –George Eliot

Give a certain percentage of your earning to universe by helping those who needed it the most.One is never poor to help out.Give according to ur capacity.Take care of Gods poor family too.The Fakir by Ruzbeh N. Bharucha

Because we can never be the owner of money.after your death money will go in someone else hands.This will reduce your Karmic debts too.

There is nothing more beautiful than someone who goes out of their way to make life beautiful for others.” ― Mandy Hale

What is the essence of life? To serve others and to do good.-- Aristotle

GURU

Bhishmashtami Fast is observed on the eighth date of Shukla Paksha, Magh Masa. As specified in Mahabharata, Bhishma Pitamaha had died according to his wish on this day. He is also known as Bal Brahmachari and ancestor of Kauravas. On this day, worshipping and doing Tarpan in the name of Bhisma, gives a glorious and honest child. Bhisma Ashtami vrat will be on Tuesday, 31 January 2012.

Bhisma Pitamaha took a pledge to stay Brahmachari for his whole life. He passed his life, taking the side of truth and justice. Among all the members of Mahabharata, Bhishma Pitahama holds a unique position. His father was Maharaja Shantanu, and mother was Bhagwati Ganga. His name of birth name was Devavrata. But, he took a resolution for his father to stay bachelor for the whole life. So, he was named Bhisma.

Bhisma Ashtami Vrat Significance

Observing this fast gives freedom from Putradosh. And wish to have a child, come true. A person observing this fast should to Tarpan for the peace of Bhisma Pitahma’s soul. By the blessings of Pitahma, person observing fast get a child having value as of Pitahma.

Source : astrobix.com

HARI OM

Views: 884

Replies to This Discussion

Hari Om

Thx for post

Om 

welcome bro!

Dear Induji,

Namaste.

I have recently joined GURU and watching your postings with interest. You could have inserted this posting a couple of days earlier for the benefit of those who are unaware of this ritual. Though we call it 'tarpanam' it is in fact 'Argyam' that we offer with water as we offer Argyam to Surya during sandhyavandanam.

For the benefit of those who wish to observe this ritual sincerely I have given below the slokas for the argyapradhaanam :

"VYAAGRAPAADAADI GOTRAAYA SAANKRUTI PRAVARAYA CHA

GANGA PUTRTAAYA BHISHMAAYA AJANMA BRAHMACHARINE

BHISHMAAYA NAMAHA IDHAMARGYAM, IDHAMARGYAM, IDHAMARGYAM 

APUTRAAYA JALAM DADMI NAMO BHISHMAAYA VARAANANE

BHISHMA SANTANAVO VEERA SATHYAVATI JITHENDRIYAHA

ABHIRADHBIR AVAAPNOTU PUTRAPOUTROCHITAM KRIYAM

BHISHMAAYA NAMAHA, IDHAMARGYAM, IDHAMARGYAM, IDHAMARGYAM

VASUUNAM AVATAARAYA SANTANOR ATMAJAYACHA

ARGYAM DADAMI BHISHMAAYA ABALA BRAHMACHARINE

BHISHMAAYA NAMAHA, IDHAMARGYAM, IDHAMARGYAM, IDHAMARGYAM."

om tat sat !

With best wishes,

M S SUBRAMANIAN

Namaste Sir

Good to know that you are going through my posts with interest.

Thank you very much for the Arghya shloka.

Could you please elaborate us on SANDHYAVANDANA?

HARI OM

Dear Induji,

Namaste. Thanks for your mail and your interest shown in knowing more about SANDHYAVANDANA.

SANDHYAVANDANA is a ritual ordained for those who had undergone the ritual called UPANAYANA which is also called 'Thread ceremony' by common people. This ritual was instituted for Brahmins, Khastriyas and Vysyas who can devote sometime every day for the universal prayer SANDHYAVANDHANA. During the Upanayana ceremony (normally carried out at the tender age known as 'Garbhashtama' - 7 to 8 years of age) for the reason that a man should get into the fold of 'GAYATRI' before he happens to see the world with eyes of 'Kama'. During the ritual of thread ceremony he sees every woman as 'mother', GAYATHRI DEVI being the first mother after this ritual. That is why Brahmins are known in other words as 'Dwijanma' (having two births in a lifetime).

The ritual of Sandhyavandana is divided into three known as Prathas Sandhya, Madhyaana Sandhya and Sayam Sandhya. He receives the Sun every day at sun rise, during its Zenith and before sunset. Brahmacharis are instructed to perform this without break by doing the necessary invocations, argyams, prarthanas. At the end of the prayer SANDHYAVANDA, he gives the credit of the ritual to Narayana (a form of Vishnu) by the recital of 'Kayena Vacha, Mansendriyairva budhyatmanava prakrutho swabhaavat, Karomi yatyat sakhalam parasmai Naarayanethi samarpayaami' dedicating all the punya gained by the ritual to Narayana.

There is a slight variation for those belonging to the different schools of veda, viz Rigvedis, Yajurvedis, Samavedis etc. According to our culture, Surya Chandra are known as Pratyaksha Devatas and hence the Upasthaana Mantram for Surya and the argyam therefor.

(Surya Namaskara Mantras are different). Sandhya vandana is different from Tarpanam.

Since young persons (Brahmacharis) need not perform 'pitru tarpanam' they are initiated to perform Deva & Rishi tarpanam only. Only those who do not have father will add the 'pitru tarpanam' and they will take the amavaasya tarpanam in addition to this rituals commonly known as "Nitya Karmaanushtanam". During this prayer of sandhyavandana, breathing exercise known as 'Praanayama' is also added. The high light of the Sandhyavana after invoking and offering argyams to cosmic forces like the pancha bhoothas, Navagrahas, the ultimate God "Narayana" by chanting the relevant slokas, GAYATRI JAPAM is undertaken to the tune of 108 counts. This can be restricted to 32 during Maadyaanam.

I am a senior citizen aged 78 years with my old school of thought. I have just outlined the ritual SANDHYAVANDANAM for your general understanding. Each segment of mantras chanted has an episode behind it to highlight its importance and significance.

Hope this has given you an idea about SANDHYAVANDANA. You are welcome to seek further clatifications if any.

With fervent prayers for the universal goodness.

Lokah: Samastha: Sukhino Bhavantu. That is the essence of this ritual.

Hari Om !

M S SUBRAMANIAN

Namaste Sir

Though I know about this ritual, I thought I will hear it from you.Thank you very much for your beautiful and detailed explanation of this ritual. Especially I like those words MAN SHOULD GET IN TO THE FOLD OF GAYATRI BEFORE HE HAPPENS TO SEE THE WORLD  WITH EYES OF KAMA. Great explanation.

HARI OM

The coming sunday is bheeshmashtami in USA. my husband and I were planing to give tarpanam to bheeshma pitamaha. I have few questions regarding this. I will be very grateful if you can answer them in time.

1. can the tarpanam to bheeshma pitamaha be given by those whose parents are still alive? is that not a problem? My husband's parents are still alive.
2. What is the procedure to give tarpana?
3. I have read that Upavasam has do be followed on that day... what should we not eat on that day? you can say rice and rice related items and etc.
4. After giving the tarpana, what should be done with the water? we live in an apartment and no balcony as well. Can i pour the water into a pot? or any other way to do it?

Please help me with the answers.

let us chant sri vishnu sahasranama and remember this great son of God.

RSS

Sparsh Social Welfare and Charitable Organisation

School at Nangloi Slum New Delhi India

Sai Old Age Home New Delhi India

Latest Activity

John Nye is now a member of GURU
1 hour ago
Profile IconGuru via Facebook
Thumbnail

Eid Mubarak my dear friends

Facebook14 hours ago · Reply
Thumbnail

बहुत साल बाद दो दोस्त रास्ते में मिले . धनवान दोस्त ने उसकी आलिशान गाड़ी पार्क की और गरीब मित्र से बोला चल इस गार्डन में बेठकर बात करते है . चलते चलते अमीर दोस्त ने गरीब दोस्त से कहा तेरे में और मेरे में बहुत फर्क है . हम दोनों साथ में पढ़े साथ में…

See More

7 mysteries Revealed about Shiva : #1 Why Snake? Snakes are a symbol of awareness. You can't be asleep with a snake around your neck! #2 Why Ashes? To remind you of the impermanence of life; knowing that we live life fully. #3 Is the Moon…

See More
Facebook22 hours ago · Reply

जब भक्ति भोजन में मिलती है तो प्रसाद बन जाता है। जब भक्ति भूख में मिलती है तब उपवास बन जाता हेl जब भक्ति पानी में मिलती है तो चरणामृत बन जाता है। जब भक्ति प्रवास में मिलती हे तो यात्रा बन जाती हेl जब भक्ति संगीत में मिलती हे तो वह कीर्तन…

See More
Facebookyesterday · Reply

You know the quote: "Sow an intention and reap a thought Sow a thought and reap an action Sow an action and reap a habit Sow a habit and reap a DESTINY" By understanding the process, you realise how the choices you make influence your…

See More
Facebookyesterday · Reply
thomas koovalloor shared Sukadev Bretz's video on Facebook
yesterday

Purifing Corner

8.7.13-started 0n

Flag Counter

© 2014   Created by amit.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service