Secrets of Karma
- Now, with the recognition of the self as a soul, I become aware that every single action is leaving an imprint, a record which I carry eternally.
- In the same way that Newton’s Law of Motion - to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - applies to the physical universe, the Law of Karma is applicable to the spiritual universe.
Simply stated it means that, IF I HAVE GIVEN HAPPINESS I WILL RECEIVE HAPPINESS IN RETURN. IF I GIVE SORROW I WILL RECEIVE SORROW IN RETURN. This is also known as the law of cause and effect.
- So karma is the cause and the fruit of karma is the effect.
- Karma means “ACTION” and it has 3 qualities:
- Sukarma — action by which happiness is given. Such
action would be pure action.
- Vikarma — action based on the vices and therefore giving
- Akarma — action with neither positive nor negative effect.
- Generally, when we see the effects of karma, they have been far separated from the karma which caused them. We forget we were responsible for these effects. So, we often point the finger of blame at others or even at God saying - why has this suffering been put upon me. But can the almighty, all-loving, merciful Supreme Father really wish suffering of any kind?
The intellect rejects this and realises that in fact God is the remover of sorrow and the bestower only of happiness. So if there is the effect of sorrow, I have been responsible for the cause of sorrow.
The Law of Karma makes one take total responsibility for one's own situation.
Question: If what is happening to me is because of my past then am I destined to pay the consequences or is there anything I can do about it?
Answer: The Law of Karma states that if I now perform pure action (Sukarma) I can create my own future in the direction of my choice.
As such, not only am I a slave of destiny, but the understanding of karma makes me the creator of my own destiny. I choose the destiny I wish for myself.
- When one is performing action one is not always aware of the results that action will bring. One little action can cause repercussions that may last for many years.
As action gets mixed up with interaction, it gets coloured by many different influences - criss-crossed with the actions of others. So today we find ourselves in a great web of cause and effect. We find ourselves completely entangled by the threads of our karma and if we try to trace those threads we are even more confused.
- The real question of karma is not simply to understand the theory of karma but to see the karmic debt that I carry. As such . . .
- What can I possibly do to ensure that I DON'T INCREASE MY NEGATIVE KARMIC ACCOUNT any more?
- What can I do TO REDUCE MY KARMIC ACCOUNT? Or even: is there possibly a quick easy method by which I can settle my entire karmic debt?
- Can I ensure that I perform SUCH KARMA THAT I CONSTANTLY HAVE A HUGE INCOME, A STOCK, A BIG FORTUNE WAITING FOR ME IN THE FUTURE?
- No more negative: With the UNDERSTANDING OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF KARMA and the LINK WITH THE SUPREME SOUL, one is able to ensure that there is no future wrongful action, that there are no karmic accounts being increased.
- Removing Negative: With the FIRE OF YOGA, one is able to annul the past debts that have been gathered through many births.
- Creating positive: with the POWER AND THE INSPIRATION, THE RENUNCIATION AND THE DEDICATION FELT BY THE SOUL, it is possible to perform such pure action that there is the guarantee that my future births will have purity, health, wealth and happiness.
- Question: Throughout history our definition of right and wrong has been changing. So how can I possibly arrive at a point where I can know absolutely what is right and what is wrong?
Answer: If I can have knowledge from the Supreme Source and if I can be in the consciousness of my true identity, the soul, I am able to understand accurately right and wrong.
Baba (Father) reveals the secrets of karma and we understand that, for many births, we have been performing only impure action and gathering more and more karmic debt. Baba offers a very simple touchstone by which we can immediately analyse an action to see whether it is pure or impure. Impure karma is the result of a consciousness which is linked to the physical, known as body consciousness - the root of vikarma. This means if I think of myself as a physical being my actions are going to be influenced by negative features.
- Soul Consciousness - the method of sukarma (pure action):
This is the action which brings happiness to the self and also happiness to others - action with positive results.
- I can give only that which I have myself. And at this moment in time The happiness I have fluctuates from moment to moment - it is not permanent. So how can I possibly give happiness to others?
The first stage of pure karma (pure action) is to perform such actions by which I come closer to the Supreme Being, so that I am able to take happiness. If I serve on any physical level, it is a service, but a very limited one. When the soul experiences a link with the supreme it is inspired to share that which it has taken from the Supreme with others.
NEXT - The Cosmic Cycle